The New York Times and The New Yorker were awarded one of America’s most prestigious prizes on Monday for reporting that put the #MeToo movement in the national spotlight.
The two publications received the Pulitzer Prize for Public Service for their reporting on Harvey Weinstein’s systemic abuse of women in the entertainment industry.
The Pulitzers, administered by Columbia University, are annual awards for newspaper, magazine and digital news coverage. In newsrooms like The Times and The Washington Post, the Pulitzers are considered the pinnacle of achievement.
Among the other winners:
- The Press Democrat of Sonoma County, California, received the Pulitzer Prize in Breaking News Reporting for the paper’s coverage of wildfires in the state last fall.
- The Washington Post received the Pulitzer Prize in Investigative Reporting for its reporting about U.S. Senate candidate Roy Moore.
- The Arizona Republic and the USA Today Network received the Pulitzer Prize in Explanatory Reporting for its examination of President Trump’s proposed border wall.
- The Cincinnati Enquirer received the Pulitzer Prize in Local Reporting for its coverage of the heroin epidemic.
- The New York Times and the Washington Post shared the Pulitzer Prize in National Reporting for its coverage of Trump and Russia.
- Reuters received the Pulitzer Prize in International Reporting for its coverage of Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte and his reported connections to police assassination squads.
- GQ received the Pulitzer Prize in Feature Writing for a profile of Dylann Roof, who shot and killed nine people at a South Carolina church in 2015.
- The Alabama Media Group received the Pulitzer Prize in Commentary for columns about Civil War monuments in the state.
- New York Magazine received the Pulitzer Prize in Criticism for work by art critic Jerry Saltz.
- The Des Moines Register received the Pulitzer Prize for Editorial Writing for work related to health care in the state.
- The New York Times received the Pulitzer Prize in Editorial Cartooning.
- The Daily Progress received the Pulitzer Prize in Breaking News Photography for coverage of protests in Charlottesville, Virginia.
- Reuters received the Pulitzer Prize in Feature Photography for coverage of the Rohingya crisis in Myanmar.
Prizes were also awarded for fiction, nonfiction, drama, history, biography, poetry and music. Kendrick Lamar made history for being the first rapper to take home the music prize for his fourth studio album, “Damn.”
(Excerpt) Read More @ CNN